Algorithmic Media Policy
- McKelvey, F. (2016). The new attention factory: Discoverability and Canadian cultural policy, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Monitor, 23(2), 32–34.
- McKelvey, F. (2016). No More Magic Algorithms: Cultural Policy in an Era of Discoverability — Data & Society: Points.
Platforms: Politics and Programmability
- McKelvey, F. (2018, January 15). Has Trust in Social Media Disappeared? Policy Options.
- McKelvey, F. & Piebiak, J. (2016, online first). Porting the Political Campaign: The NationBuilder platform and the global flows of political technology, New Media and Society [paywalled]
- Mckelvey, F. (2014). The Virtualities of Political Technology: Some Reflections about the Northstar Campaign System, post for Qualitative Political Communication Research blog.
- McKelvey, F. (2011). A Programmable Platform? Drupal, Modularity, and the Future of the Web. Fibreculture, (18).
Digital Political Communication: Analytics, Bots, Campaigns and Data
- McKelvey, F., & Dubois, E. (2017, November 23). Toward the responsible use of bots in politics. Policy Options.
- Dubois, E., & McKelvey, F. (2017, July 2). The risks and rewards of political bots for Canadian democracy. The Toronto Star.
- McKelvey, F. & DuBois, E. (2017). Computational Propaganda in Canada: The Use of Political Bots as part of Computational Propaganda Worldwide working papers, The Computational Propaganda Project.
- McKelvey, F., Côté, M. & Raynauld, R. (forthcoming) Scandals and Screenshots: Social Media Elites in Canadian Politics. Chapter in book collected entitled “Political Elites in Canada: Power and Influence in Instantaneous Times” edited by Alex Marland, Thierry Giasson and Andrea Lawlor.
- McKelvey, F. (2015). Battling political machines: Coming to a riding near you! Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Monitor, 22(3), 38–39.
- Elmer, G., Langlois, G. & McKelvey, F. (2012). The Permanent Campaign: New Media, New Politics. New York: Peter Lang.
- Langlois, G, Elmer, G., McKelvey, F., & Devereaux, Z. (2009). Networked Publics: the Double Articulation of Code and Politics on Facebook. Canadian Journal of Communication 34(3). pp. 415-434.
- Elmer, G., Ryan, P. M., Devereaux, Z., Langlois, G., Redden, J., & McKelvey, F. (2007). Election Bloggers: Methods for Determining Political Influence. First Monday, 12(4).
Piracy and Pirate Politics
- McKelvey, F. (2015). We Like Copies, Just Don’t Let the Others Fool You: The Paradox of The Pirate Bay. Television and New Media, 16(8), 734-750. [copy of pre-publication version].
- Beyer, J., & McKelvey, F. (2015). You Are Not Welcome Among Us: Pirates and the State. International Journal Of Communication, 9, 19.
- Mckelvey, F. (2014). The History of the Pirate Bay through its Home Page, post for Culture Digitally blog.
Big Data and Logistical Media
- McKelvey, F., Tiessen, M., & Simcoe, L. (2015). A Consensual Hallucination No More? The Internet as Simulation Machine. European Journal of Cultural Studies, 18(4-5), 577–594. [paywalled]
- Mckelvey, F., Tiessen, M. & Simcoe, L. (2013). We are What we Tweet: The Problem with a Big Data World when Everything You Say is Data Mined, post for Culture Digitally blog.
- Langlois, G., McKelvey, F.;, Elmer, G, & Werbin, K. (2009). Mapping Commercial Web 2.0 Worlds: Towards a New Critical Ontogenesis. Fibreculture 14.
Internet Measurement and Digital Methods
- McKelvey, F. (2015). Openness Compromised? Questioning the Role of Openness in Digital Methods and Contemporary Critical Praxis. In G. Elmer, G. Langlois, & J. Redden (Eds.), Compromised Data: From Social Media to Big Data (pp. 126–146). New York, NY: Bloomsbury Academic.
- McKelvey, F. (2014). Algorithmic Media Need Democratic Methods: Why Publics Matter. Canadian Journal Of Communication, 39(4).
- McKelvey, F. (2011). Making Traffic Public: A Proposal for a Public Study of Internet Usage in Canada. In M. Moll & L. R. Shade (Eds.), The Internet Tree: The State of Telecom Policy in Canada 3.0 (pp. 143-152). Ottawa: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
Internet Policy and Network Neutrality
- McKelvey, Fenwick. (2010). Ends and ways: The algorithmic politics of network neutrality. Global Media Journal — Canadian Edition, 3(1). 51-73.
- Essay for DeepPacketInspection.ca titled Deep Packet Inspection and Control over Communication, published May 2010
- McKelvey, F. & O’Donnell, S. (2010), Out from the Edges: Multi-site Videoconferencing as a Public Sphere in First Nations. Journal of Community Informatics. 5(2)